Destination Medicine

Thursday, August 14, 2008

One White Coat



I now have a coat, have taken an oath and feel a little more official as my position as a medical student. I still can't wrap my mind around the whole thing. Every emotion in the book courses through me as I anticipate the coming Monday, the first day of class. I got a good look at the class as we all walked across the stage to accept our coat and sign our ethical pledge. I think that I am at the top of the age bracket, but really haven't had any big negatives from that. I have met some super people, the S group that I was sitting with is going to be really fun. Part of the white coat ceremony was spent trying to figure out what specialty that some of the groups would enter or coming up with a goofy nickname. It passed the time since I was #207 out of a class of 230. The doctor reading the names had interviewed me and smiled when she introduced me, that was nice. I got my coat on and signed my pledge. And that was it. It seemed like it took longer to get out of the parking lot than the whole evening. We stopped for ice cream on the way home to celebrate.

I really felt proud of my family, they have put up with a lot and will put up with more as this continues, but they backed me all the way. My mom enlisted a group sitting around her to cheer, so instead of the noise from 5 it sounded like 25! It was a very nice ceremony, the speakers were motivating, realistic and brief. The room was packed with hundreds of proud friends and relatives and I feel like there is a lot of support for everyone.

My father-in-law continues to improve from his surgery in the hospital, so he was absent from the festivities, but mom-in-law came and helped with the kids. After Wednesday's orientation, I got to listen to his new heart valve which makes quite a different sound.

Tomorrow we head for retreat at Camp Allen for a weekend of information and silliness. Then it will be time to hit the books. Hook 'em horns and here we go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home