Destination Medicine

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sticker Applied!

I placed the UT-Houston medical school sticker on the back of my Jeep yesterday. Kind of spooky looking. It keeps getting more and more official! Some of my fellow compadres are in the pre-entry program which started last week. I had been invited, but with mom and daughter's surgeries, there would not be any way. I wish I could have participated and get the rust out, but we will have to just start at a run. I am trying to put "my house in order" for the beginning of school.

It was interesting to go through the caregiver side of medicine. I hope to remember from this that while working in the hospital each day can become very routine for the doctors and nurses, it is not that way for the patients families. I certainly appreciated the confident and assertive people I ran into instead of the folks who were laughing and joking. Maybe it is just me. There was a doctor talking about his daughter thinking about getting her nipple pierced at one location and a nurse calling the man who had just cut on my daughter an "ass." You have to remember that you never know who is listening or how that message will be taken. One thing that I found interesting was the post-op pain management and how it works for adults versus children. While NO pain is impossible, it is so important to lessen the burden of pain to allow for healing, but it is such a narrow line to walk.

I still have a massive list of things to do before school starts and I try to work on things as they come up. I am trying to enjoy all of the remaining free time before all of our lives really change!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home